Due to the unfortunate circumstances, the Bank is obliged to perform a number of actions in the deceased's account, including the following:
- blocking the deceased's credit cards (including the standing orders on the card),
- ceasing to honour cheques and debit authorizations in the account.
1.The following guidelines will assist you in in order to obtain information about the deceased's account.
In order to obtain information about the deceased's account, before an inheritance order and/or probate order is granted, we require your signature on a "Letter of indemnity for provision of information to potential heirs" (its number on the website is 317-33) and other documents listed below on this page.
The signature on the documents, including identification documents, must be authenticated before:
- If in Israel – before your lawyer or at a Leumi branch/service center
- If abroad – before the Israeli Consul or a notary public whose signature and seal are certified by apostille
The identification documents required are in accordance with the potential heir's place of residence, as set out below:
If the deceased was a resident of Israel:
- Death certificate
- Will or any other document showing that you are one of the deceased's heirs
If the deceased was a foreign resident:
- Death certificate (if the deceased died abroad, the certificate must be authenticated by apostille)
- For holders of Israeli citizenship – identity card number
- For holders of foreign citizenship – passport numbers (last and previous numbers)
Required identification documents of the heirs (if you do not come to the branch, documents authenticated as stated above must be sent):
- If you are a potential heir and a resident of Israel:
- Valid Israeli identity card
- If you are a potential heir and a foreign resident holding Israeli citizenship:
- Valid Israeli identity card or passport
- If you are a potential heir and a foreign resident holding foreign citizenship:
- Valid foreign passport and another document bearing a photograph and identity number, and in the absence thereof – a document bearing a name or identity number and address or date of birth
- If you are a holder of power of attorney from the heirs:
- Valid identity card or passport and original power of attorney, valid and authenticated, in which the heir authorizes the applicant to receive the requested information
2. After receiving an inheritance order, in order to distribute the inheritance:
After an inheritance order is received, the process can proceed. If one of the orders was received from a Family Court and/or Religious Court, the original or a true copy of the original is required.
The document of instructions for distribution of the inheritance is called "Heirs' Instructions". Each of the heirs is required to complete it in full. The instructions must be clear and must include exact reference to the particular share of the bank account funds which each heir requests to receive.
It is important to know that without the agreement of all the heirs on the manner of distribution of the inheritance we cannot proceed with the process.
*If there is a safe deposit box in the account, you must contact the branch at which the safe deposit box is held in order to arrange for it to be closed. Without dealing with the safe deposit box it will not be possible to distribute the entire estate and close the account.
Instructions for completion of the "Heirs' Instructions" form
- If there is no agreement between the heirs- a distribution order and/or instructions from the executor of the estate must be obtained. Alternatively, if authorization is given by all the heirs, the money may be placed on deposit until agreement is reached.
- If an heir wishes to renounce his share – an affidavit of renunciation or authenticated estate distribution agreement must be obtained
- If there is foreign currency in the account – you must choose either to convert the foreign currency into Israeli currency or to transfer the foreign currency in the original currency. If you wish to transfer your share of the foreign currency without conversion, you must give details of the foreign currency account held by you.
- If there are securities in the account- in order to sell securities we will ask the heirs to appoint one heir to be the contact person for us in executing the sale. Execution of the sale will be subject to a discussion by the Bank's aforesaid representative with the contact person after completion of everything necessary for distribution of the inheritance. An heir who wishes to transfer his portion of the securities to his account without sale will have to ensure that a securities deposit is held in the account in his/her name and to give the Bank its details.